Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I am beside myself with glee...

After 5 days of fighting with Lappy (it's a tad of a dinosaur):
  • one day was trying to install windows XPukes and realizing that I had chosen the wrong partition, it was only 4GB (you can't upgrade to SP2 without have a HUGE amount of space...anywaaaaaay.....
  • one day was spent downloading, burning and installing Ubuntu 8.04 the rest of that day was spent trying to get the wireless USB adapter running....good luck Linux world on that one...it doesn't work.....
  • the following day was the same thing only I was away for half of it, and ran my family....in all my spare time I have been trying to get this thing going!
  • the fourth day I spent in bed with some kind of stomache bug, and could barely stand up I REALLY wanted the wireless to work but uh, well, again GOOD LUCK Linux world with a USB 2wire wireless adapter - ndiswrapper, wicd NOR madwifi would make it work!
  • Today, I gave up and looked up wireless adapter online to find that Linksys is a desert for Linux support because for whatever reason you can't make a "package" to work for any of them but that D-Link is pretty much okay with any Linux based O/S making it "plug and play" which again is not a Linux term, enter new term "out of the box" so, after installing Ubuntu for the 4th time and having to change my security on my router probably 20 times and having some sort of geekygirl power, I am wireless!!!! well, I have always been but now Lappy is too. I didn't really understand what Andre meant when he said that I wouldn't really know what I didn't know until I installed it, Andre......I totally didn't know any of the stuff that I know now ;)
I call her Lappy BTW because of Strong Bad. Well.....what's next to conquer...oh UNBUNTU IS AWESOME! It come WITH most of the programs I already use, SERIOUSLY! Firefox, TheGimp, Pidgin and well, that's all I really care about, no B/S with stooooooooooooooooopid Micropuke genuine keys, it's just free! Ahhhh..... all is calm in Lappy's Programer's Head :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Now-uh-you know, you don't have to be awake at 2am yet--sleep while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay all I can say is reading the beginning of your post I'm now thinking of Lappy the Dinosaur which is some kind of puppy dog like dino...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name if you comment so I know who to say hi to next time :)